Winter alps, fun

Winter alps, fun

Tuesday 22 December 2015

Cocking Around with a Rebreather

 So, just been and bought a DeepDevil DecoRider sidemount CCR rebreather.


I'm trying to extend my cave diving range and safety margin without taking a million cylinders, as well as save a little cash on gas costs!

Problem is, it needs a little bit of work, but for the price I paid I really don't mind.




The counterlungs at the moment are MASSIVE. I'd say they're easily about 6L each. I do intend to get an accurate answer on this, but after that, I'm going to change them for two 3L bags. Again, rather easy, just need to change the P-ports and the dump valve over to some new MSR bags from a shop :D


Currently, there's space for two oxygen sensors. Both are individually connected to a single wire which leads out to an individual ppO2 display. I don't particularly like this. I'm going to screw a new bracket in to house another sensor, route a 3-in-1 cable out through the existing gland to a fischer connector. I can then connect that to my petrel which I'm yet to acquire....

The other existing cable gland is going to have to be blocked up, I'll probably just use a bolt and an O-ring. I'm probably most worried about this job as it's a very important one to not cock up with the ppO2 sensors and keeping the water-tightness around the current glands is very important.


Then we've got this monstrosity of an O2 add that I'm just gonna get rid of and replace with a genuine KISS valve. Nice and simple. I'll probably do this first :P


The bottom scrubber mesh needs some thought and work put in to it. Sorb is currently escaping round the sides into the water trap and causing a little caustic cocktail which isn't pleasant. I'm also going to try and make the centre rod and exhaust tube a bit more stable as at the moment it can be a bit of a pig to put together.

The sorb issue is currently sorted with some scotchbrite though, so no rush with this job.




There's a few other things I need to do with the unit:
1. Fiddle with the ADV so it works as an AUTOMATIC diluent valve. Rather than just a diluent add.
2. Source a first stage, blanking plug and OPV for the O2, this is simple enough.
3. The hoses are ridiculously long. I need to get new hoses all round.

And that's about it! I'm hoping to start taking it into the water by about February/March time. No rush to get it into caves though!

Over the moon and I'll try and update as fiddling happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment